Utility benchmarking is the process of tracking, analyzing, and reporting the costs and consumption associated with a property. This information is then used to compare to similar properties for the purpose of identifying potential improvements. Changes in performance are tracked over time. Utility benchmarking is a fundamental part of a residential asset management program.
If you own multifamily property in California, you may be required to benchmark. Starting June 1, 2019, multifamily buildings with more than 50,000 square feet of gross floor area, and properties with more than seventeen residential meters are required to benchmark their utilities.
Utility benchmarking started in Austin, Texas, in 2008, for properties with 5+ units. Since then, many other cities have added a requirement for benchmarking:
- Atlanta, 25,000 square feet
- Berkeley, 50,000 square feet
- Boston, 35,000 square feet or 35 units
- Cambridge, 49 units
- Chicago, 50,000 square feet
- Denver, 50,000 square feet
- Evanston, 100,000 square feet
- Kansas City, 100,000 square feet
- Los Angeles, 100,000 square feet
- New York, 50,000 square feet
- Orlando, 50,000 square feet
- Philadelphia, 50,000 square feet
- Portland, ME, 50+ units
- Seattle, 5+ units
- South Portland, ME, 10+ units
- St. Louis, 50,000 units
- Washington, DC, 50,000 square feet
You can find more information on California’s benchmarking regulations at the California Energy Commission.
Benefits of Utility Benchmarking
- Understand the energy and water performance of the property
- Reduction of operating expenses
- Identify areas for improvement and future cost savings
- Isolate billing errors
- Identify malfunctioning equipment
- Participate in incentives for energy- and water-saving improvements
- Apply for green loans
- Comply with regulations if required
- Provide an attractive benefit for conservation-minded residents
Contact our sales department for more information.
Get a FREE Consultation Now!
Please complete the form to learn about our utility billing services and submetering solutions.
MULTIFAMILY UTILITY COMPANY CUSTOMER TESTIMONIALS
“Multifamily Utility Company has done an excellent job with our properties. They are very professional and have seamlessly READ MORE
“We have calculated the increase in property value that comes along with submetering. For instance, on a property with 285 READ MORE
P.O. Box 86531
San Diego, CA 92138-6531
Email | (800) 266-0968
P.O. Box 86229
San Diego, CA 92138-6229
Account Managers work directly with the property to assist with billing and training.
Email | (800) 266-0968